Re: New Zsh Logo

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 08:02:06PM +0000, Peter Stephenson wrote:

On Wed, 2022-01-12 at 19:56 +0000, Peter Stephenson wrote:
Hi all,

Justin Dorfman has offered to produce a new logo for zsh for use on the website
etc.  Because this needs to be sorted out quickly for project management reasons,
Bart Schaefer, Oliver Kiddle, Daniel Shahaf and I have been looking at this,
however, I'm sure a lot more people are interested.

Rather than post the near final set of choices here, I'll put them on the
higher bandwidth zsh-workers list, so look out there if you're interested.

Here are the three current choices --- not quite final, but definitely
getting there. Looks like variant 3 is our favourite at the moment.

They look great, and really clearly evoke a shell. I assume that the color version, with black and orange, is a callback to Paul's Princeton days?

My only comment is that the way the "H" blends in to the terminal border strains my brain a bit. My eye keeps getting drawn to it, and it's dissonant every time. I think that would go away with just a slight break -- even less than the one between the border and the "Z" would probably do it. Or maybe having the "Z" connected as well would solve it.

But please ignore me if it's not an issue for anyone else; I don't want to be a bother. And really, the design is awesome; I wasn't expecting something nearly as perfect as what I saw when I opened up the image.

I will point out that v1 really looks more like a DOS prompt to me, with the ">" character, even if it's missing the "C:". :)

Thanks,
Danek