Re: UNICODE Private Use Area characters in BUFFER

On Sun, Oct 23, 2022 at 4:35 PM Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Asserting that zsh "handles" those characters in other
> contexts isn't indicative of anything beyond demonstrating that
> terminal "handling" is a special case.

Seems to me we've got the following options:

1.  Do nothing.
2.  Presume Roman is correct that these characters can always be
treated as printable and narrow.  (Still no answer as to how best to
change this?)
3.  Add an option UNICODE_PRINTABLE_NARROW that when set, asserts all
these characters to be printable and narrow.  Default ... on?
4.  Add special variable(s) (perhaps via module?) to allow remapping
the wcwidth9.h lookup tables to make individual characters printable
and set their width.