Re: [BUG] multibyte never set according to setopt/unsetopt output

Coming back a bit late to the thread I started a month ago...

Basically, because `multibyte` is on by default, the *`setopt` commands behave as if there were instead an option with the inverted meaning named `nomultibyte`, and it is that string rather than `multibyte` which shows up in the output of one or the other. (I suppose one difference between the actual situation and the postulated `nomultibyte` option is that the inversion is `multibyte` rather than *`nonomultibyte`.)

Also, I was misinterpreting the output of `unsetopt`; the presence of `nomultibyte` in its output means that option is _not_ set, or in other words, the `multibyte` option _is_ set.

Thanks for the suggestions for alternative ways to display the options. As far as I can tell, `kshoptionprint` just makes `setopt` produce the same output as `set -o`; I'm happy to just use `set -o` in that case. I used ksh for a long time. :)

On Wed, Dec 20, 2023 at 12:40 PM Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/20/23, Peter Stephenson <p.w.stephenson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Really? I get all options listed in the positive sense regardless of
>> their state:
>
> Yours and mine are equivalent, yes, it's the various versions just
> using shell builtins that don't seem to allow a no-no form of output,
> unless I'm missing something.

For some reason I thought yours was sent in reply to mine, my
apologies for the confusion.

--
Mikael Magnusson

--