case-insensitive filename completion?

I've been using the NT version of zsh for a while and have grown to like the
case-insensitive filename completion that it offers via the winntignorecase
option.

Has anyone considered adding an equivalent option to the unix version?  I like
typing mostly in lowercase and having the shell "fix up" the case for me if it
can do so unambiguously.

E.g.,. I'd like to have the following expand to ~/.Xdefaults if I have no other
files beginning .XdE, .xdeasdf, etc.

  $ ls ~/.xde<TAB>

If I have 2 files `Foo' and `foo' and type `ls f<TAB>', I guess it could do
either:

a) complete `foo'
b) leave me at `f' and offer `foo' and `Foo' as further completion matches.

I'm not sure which I would prefer - perhaps another option could control this!

[please copy me on replies as I'm not on the list]

Thanks,

    --- John