Re: (forw) --help able programs and completion]

On Jun 27,  1:08pm, Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
} Subject: Re: (forw) --help able programs and completion]
}
} Bart Schaefer wrote:
}
} > Which reminds me, Sven:  There's still the bug where setting the `menu'
} > style to `select=N' for some number N is not working at all.  Menu
} > selection never starts for me.
}
} Huh? It works for me when I do something that would start
} menu-completion (automenu or...). And if there are enough matches, of
} course.

Sorry, I'm confused.

What I was expecting, for some reason, was that menu selection would start
immediately if there were more than N matches, not wait for the second TAB
that triggers automenu.  I.e., I want automenu (two TAB) behavior if there
are fewer than N matches, and menu-select (one TAB) behavior for N or more.

I don't know how I got the idea in my head that select=N by itself works
that way.  Is there a configuration that does work that way?