New mail notification not working

I'm using zsh-4.0.2 on NetBSD-1.5.1 with mutt-1.2.5i (mutt compiled with S-Lang).
I'm using the maildir mailbox format with mutt.

In my .zshenv I have:

export MAIL=$HOME/.mailspool/rj
export MAILPATH=$HOME/.mailspool/rj:$HOME/Mail/trash'?New mail in trashbox.'

and I cannot get the "You have new mail." to show in zsh.

If the following is relevant (though I don't think it should be), I also have:

in .zprofile:
biff n

and in .zshrc:
setopt NO_MAIL_WARNING