Named Dirs Not Registered for Completion Until Used

I'm trying to create a named dir ~palmfiles for my Palm installation directory, and I have the following line in my .zprofile:

export palmfiles=~/Documents/Palm/Users/Aaron\ Davies/Files\ to\ Install

When I start a new shell, I can say

cd ~palmfiles

and it will work, but what I *can't* do initially is

cd ~pa<tab>

It just beeps. After I've done

cd ~palmfiles

the tab completion works.

In order to remedy this, I've added the following line to .zprofile:

hash -d palmfiles=~/Documents/Palm/Users/Aaron\ Davies/Files\ to\ Install

but according to the zsh docs, I shouldn't have to do this. What do I need to do to make a named directory available for completion (=? present in hash table) immediately after shell startup?
--