Resolved: Sourcing .zshrc from .zprofile causes problems

I figured it out.  It was because I had

zstyle ':completion:*' list-colors ${(s.:.)LS_COLORS}

before

export LS_COLORS='di=36:fi=0:ln=35:pi=93:so=32:bd=34;46:cd=34;103:or=31:mi=0: ex=31'

in my .zshrc file. Silly me. I know this is a bit off topic, but is the 'export' necessary/correct in the LS_COLORS definition?

Thanks,
Ryan