Re: bug (feature?) in zsh

Unfortunately, as I believe has been noted, several of the vendors shipping SVR4 UNIX ship with csh as the default shell for the root account.  However, they also ship with an equivalent account, toor (root spelled backwards) with either sh or ksh as the shell.

Personally, I dropped csh instantly as soon a an alternative with command history (ksh) (let alone completion) became available .  There are a few csh features that I like, but, in generally, I find it extremely aggregating to use.  I'm not sure why, as I've written code in C almost as soon as it existed, and I still use C in some cases for device drivers, but the shell drives me straight up the wall.

On my systems, I create a third user, zoot, which has (surprise) zsh as the shell.  I realize the zoot doesn't spell anything backwards, but it seemed like a sensible name to me for some odd reason.

Historically, it is true that csh was in no way related (in terms of code reuse) to sh.  csh is also, unfortunately, not fully re-entrant, and, for that reason, a good thing to stay away from.  In my opinion zsh has every useful csh feature, but that's just my opinion.  I've been trying to think of a time recently that I used anything other than !####, and I can't, but I may have forgotten a lot of csh features in the considerable number of years since ksh came out.

Since you can run zsh under cygwin, I haven't run any other shell for a long time.  I'm something of a zsh zealot, though.