Re: retrieving the results of last command?

Mikael Magnusson wrote:
> On 5/20/05, Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > insert-last-command-output() {
> >   LBUFFER+=3D"$(eval $history[$((HISTCMD-1))])"
> > }

> Hello,
> Is there a way to ask for confirmation here? It's not always history
> contains what you expect, for example if you share history and just
> ran rm -rf . in another terminal, and press this bind you might not be
> so happy with the outcome. Ie something like
> zsh: are you sure you want to run $history[$((HISTCMD-1))] again? [yn]
> Is the read builtin what i want? I never quite got the hang of that one.

With 4.2, the best way of prompting from within a command line is to use
the supplied function read-from-minibuffer.  Something like this:

insert-last-command-output() {
  local hist=$history[$((HISTCMD-1))] REPLY

  autoload -U read-from-minibuffer
  read-from-minibuffer -k1 "Do you want to execute
  $hist
again y/[n]? " || [[ $REPLY = [yY]* ]] || return 1

  LBUFFER+="$(eval $hist)"

the system manager.