${i:r}-question

Hi,

 I am currently wrting a little shell script, which encapsulates the
 new "arepack" addition of atool-0.31.0 (nice tool! use it! :O))).

 The shell script should repack all archives given on the command line
 to *.tar.7z _or_ *.7z archives -- depending on whether the original
 archive was a plain *.bz2 (one file compressed with bzip2) or a
 *.tar.bz2 (tar archive with bzip2 compressed).

 Experimenting with expressions similiar to

			   afile="test.tar.bz2"
			   echo ${afile:e}

 I am wondering, whether it would possible to strip off more than one
 "instance" of extension ("tar.bz2" instead of "bz2") from "$afile"
 without using somthing like

			   echo ${${afile:e}}

 since this would depends on knowing whether it is a *.bz2 or a
 *.tar.bz2 archive before evaluating the expression, which reveals
 exactly this information...... :)

 Thank you very much in advance for any help and enlightment ! ;O)))

 Have a nice weekend !
 Meino