Re: setopt returns both "interactive and login"

On Jun 26, 2006, at 1:34 PM, Peter Stephenson wrote:

Timothy Stone wrote:
Can my shell be both 'interactive' and 'login' at the same time?

Yes, that's the normal case for a login shell.

Hmmm... I'm beginning to understand something is occurring behind the scenes here... the *NIX /login/ utility.

So, when I open a new terminal window, with /insert favorite terminal application here/, the /login/ utility is invoked and I get a *login* shell, this is *interactive*. Following that, I request a new shell at the command line, barring the /-l/ switch, I get a new, but / interactive/ shell:

% ssh luser@box
Password:
[luser@box] ~% setopt
interactive