Re: Menu-driven version of history-beginning-search-backward

Andy Spiegl wrote:
> Is it very hard to make it use a menu where you can move around the
> possible completions with the cursor keys, instead of having to type the
> corresponding number?  I mean, just like the "normal" completion menu.

Unfortunately, yes.  Bart's version of menu-driven history (which he
posted a pointer to) does this because it uses a completion widget; but
using a completion widget gives you less flexibility about altering the
command line, so it can't fully emulate the "history-beginning-..."
behaviour.

As I briefly mentioned to zsh-workers, there is nothing so sophisticated
as an API to use the menu selection code for completion from outside it.
It would be nice to have, though.