new-style completion and large numbers of users

I'm using zsh 4.2.0 on a machine with a very large number of users. When I first log on and do a completion of any kind, it triggers a cache-load of all of the user names, which is quite time consuming. I'd like to disable that behavior but can't see how to do it. The archives have some ideas for old style completion but I didn't see anything for the new system.

Ideas?