Re: change inside

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Ray Andrews <rayandrews@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 27/10/12 10:42 AM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
>>
>> I won't attempt to assert that this still *is* the philosophy, because
>> ever since zsh stopped being interesting as a project for university
>> computer science students to hack on, we've had a hard time finding
>> enough volunteer programmers to change much of anything,
>
> How sad, and how difficult to understand.  I'm still only using zsh in the
> most superficial way, and my opinion of it vs. bash isn't worth very much,
> but for whatever it is worth, I find the bash shell, as it comes ROOTB to be
> so crippled and horrible and useless as to be almost sadistic. So awful as
> to drive me right back to DOS, where I had the sublime elegance of 4DOS to
> work with. I turned to zsh in sheer desperation. It too is rather crippled
> ROOTB, but it seemed much easier to get to the point where it is a pleasure
> to use, and now I can't imagine going back to bash.  This being so, I don't
> understand how it might be that keeping zsh brightly polished would *not* be
> seen as one of the most important tasks in the 'nix world and I would have
> guessed that there would be hundreds of guys working on it.

yeah, i had no idea that y'all were in such a need for developers. i
mean, that's really interesting since pretty much everyone i know who
knows what a shell is uses zsh and most have used it for years. i've
only recently gotten past the superficial level but always loved the
autocomplete over bash. i mean, i noticed the other day that debian
even has a /etc/bash-completion.d/ directory with tons of little
scripts for programs. to me that's just kludgy.

i sorta like what bart said about vi. maybe i'll get board one day,
compile exvi and start scripting out all the features i like with it.
:) i do like some things to be loosely built in though - like the
module system, but maybe an option to the module to say, give me
extended features (like the modes in the vipr emacs module).

idk how much i'd be able to help, but i cloned the git (because i
wanted a newer shell on debian stable) so maybe i'll look through the
code and see if there's any help i can provide.