Re: Does the bash bug have a zsh counterpart?

On Sep 25, 2014, at 9:41 AM, Peter Stephenson <p.stephenson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 09:35:01 -0700
> "William G. Scott" <wgscott@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Does any version of zsh have the same issue as bash, reported eg at
>>
>> <http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/09/bug-in-bash-shell-creates-big-security-hole-on-anything-with-nix-in-it/>
>
> No, search the zsh-workers archive at www.zsh.org for the last day or
> so.
>
>> I was thinking of temporarily replacing sh and bash on OS X with zsh
>> until a security fix is offered.
>
> If so, make sure you alias it to sh or otherwise cause it to come up in
> POSIX mode.
>
> Dash might be a better bet as it's more widely used for such things.
>
> pws

Thanks.  I decided to try living life on the edge, backed up the old versions of sh and bash, and made hard links to the system zsh.  (About 10 years ago I found a hard link to a then nonexistent ksh behaved properly whereas a symbolic link for whatever reason didn’t).  I’ve done this on 10.10b and 10.9 and rebooted and things appear to be working without issue.  So far. (At the very least, it might be entertaining to see where this might go wrong.)