Re: utf-8

19.12.2014, 20:07, "Ray Andrews" <rayandrews@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>  On 12/18/2014 11:02 PM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
>
>  So often the answer is dead simple once the question is understood:
>>   Just hold down the "shift to English" key and type.  In the case of
>>   Did you read my messages? ***RUSSIANS ENTER THIS KIND OF THINGS USING ENGLISH KEYBOARD LAYOUT***.
>>   You'll see they have keys that have latin top left and cyrillic bottom
>>   right. Quite how they switch between the two modes, I can't tell you but
>>   they can.
>  ... there.  Non Latin keyboards normally have the ability to switch to a
>  universal ASCII/Latin/English mode, which is required for the input of special
>  characters, like '\n', and would in fact be used for all shell programming since
>  zsh keywords and such are not translated into other languages or alphabets
>  in any case. Simple: everyone codes in English.
>
>  Thank you gentlemen.

There is some misunderstanding. *Keyboards* do not have a way to switch layouts: those that once were factured with РУС/ЛАТ button (Russian/Latin switch, not sure whether the actual implementation of this button was hardware or software) are long since dead and buried. Except for some very rare cases local keyboards are regular keyboards you may find in the nearest computer store with the only addition of the local characters scribed on keys (note: keyboard even does not know and cannot tell the OS what is scribed there). What does the switching is some software (usually considered to be a part of the operating system), and it may do much more then just switching: e.g. search for “X11 Japanese input method” (there are much more characters that are needed to write in japanese then there is present on the keyboard).

The only keyboards left that handle switching themselves are various virtual keyboards (usually those you may find on your smartphone).