Re: Pasting a line end doesn't work anymore

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 08:03:32 -0700
Ray Andrews <rayandrews@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've long since given up being astonished at how some things work, but
> am I to take from this that there is/was a time when you'd paste a line
> of text (with the end of line there by virtue of it being a line of
> text) into an xterm and it would execute?  And this would be considered
> proper?

Yes, until just recently, it would execute arbitrary stuff, quite
possibly including key strokes you couldn't even see.  Like you,
and it would appear most of us round here, that's never seemed
a particularly good idea to me.

Traditionally, cut-and-paste is handled identically to keyboard input.
You need to jump through a hoop, which luckily is nowadays quite common,
to make it not do that.

Hence the change...

pws