Re: convolutions

On 11/07/2015 09:33 AM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
So your stress test isn't anywhere near as stressful as you thought.
I have no faith in what I was trying to do, I was just looking for a useful method and that was an experiment. I quite understand that eval is far to dangerous to really be useful for what I was trying to do there.

There's no shell operation for "expand parameters but not any of the
other kinds of expansions you know about."  If what you want is some
kind of text replacement, you should be writing in_file in a text
processing language (HTML maybe?) rather than in shell syntax.

But I should stop whining, cuz I've had a most satisfactory answer:

$ print -R "${(e)$(<junk1)}" >| junk2
$ cat junk2

... just what I want unless there's some gottcha with that, but I doubt it. So debating the demerits of a failed idea that I know has failed is pointless. Thanks all.