Re: Strange problem with bindkey keys passing through to apps

David Woodfall wrote on Fri, 14 Sep 2018 14:13 +0100:
> I guess I was expecting something like in urxvt, when it grabs keys
> and stops them reaching any applications. Screen does that too, even
> in a plain console it grabs ctrl-a away from applications.

urxvt and screen are exactly the same thing, as far as zsh is concerned:
they are an app that runs *outside* zsh and creates a pseudo-terminal
for zsh to use.  That's why they're able to intercept keys before they get
to zsh.

> It's strange that it happens even when the applications don't have
> binds for those keys though. I've now set one up in weechat for it,
> but it will be annoying to have to do that for everything, that's if
> they even do allow custom keybinds.

It'll probably be easier to just always use screen when logging in to a
console, and to configure that bind in screen.  (There's a way to
configure screen as one's login shell, even.)

Or you might look into configuring a keybind at the console level.

Cheers,

Daniel