Re: field splitting

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 7:53 PM Pier Paolo Grassi <pierpaolog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> so it's a bug in that version? this is the zsh that comes with ubuntu xenial

I don't know whether it's a bug. I do know that it works in 5.4, 5.7
and 5.8. I haven't tried other versions.

Ubuntu LTS promises to backport only security bug fixes. Very few of
zsh bugs are classified as such. It's not unlikely that zsh 5.1.1 you
are using is the same that was released in 2015 (I haven't actually
checked it). FWIW, zsh that went into Ubuntu 18.04 had a nasty bug
that made err_return option unusable. It still is. This is by design.

Zsh 5.8 -- the latest version -- doesn't have many new features
compared to 5.1 (it does have a few) but the number of bugs that have
been fixed is massive. If you cannot upgrade your distro, you can try
building Zsh from source or use https://github.com/romkatv/zsh-bin
(disclaimer: I maintain this zsh distribution).

Roman.