Re: disown -a

> On 03 March 2021 at 09:36 zzapper <zsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Now something I've never quite got my head round is or isn't the
> underlying binary in bash & zsh for say disown or  grep actually the
> same on any particular system?

This is one of the family of the commands that do job control, like
fg, bg, jobs.  Jobs are maintained by the shell itself.  That's
necessary so that, for example, if you run "fg" on the job the
shell can tweak it to start running and then sit back and wait for
it to exit.  An external programme wouldn't be able to do all that.
So, when you get to the point where you're not actually interested
in the job any more, you need to tell the shell to forget it,
and that's what disown is doing.

pws