Re: "Watch" function?

daemonboy writes:

> I asked about this a *long* time ago, and heard nothing, so I'll forward the
> idea again and see if it flies.
>
> Instead of/in addition to being able to specify a format string for the
> "watch" facility, how hard would it be to have a special function which, if
> defined, would be called whenever the "watch" facility "saw" someone
> login/logout?  (Akin to precmd(), periodic(), chpwd(), etc.)

Yeah, I would probably use it....

> My thought is to pop up a Perl/Tk window when someone logged in, rather than
> just printing it in the xterm.

....I just wouldn't use it like that... :-) If you're simply going to
call a perl script with it, it would seem more sensible to write the
whole thing in perl, scan utmp or wtmp yourself.

But I would quite like to customise the messages more based on who
logged in/out from where....

Dave.