Re: PATCH: 3.1.5: doc fix, was re: Case-insensitive globbing

Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> "Bart Schaefer" wrote:

> > Hm.  I don't think grouping needs to work inside the command word, but
> > there should not be an implicit word break before the paren:
> >
> > zagzig<7> echo(config.|stamp-)h
> > config.h stamp-h
> >
> > Rather I'd expect to see some sort of parse error, or command-not-found.
>
> I suppose it's for people to be able to do things like `if(test...)'
> without typing all those time-consuming spaces.

Is this a feature?  I don't like it, if it is.

Suppose I have a few commands like foo_baa, or foo.baa, but I can
never remember what case the baa is supposed to be.

I think it would be cool to be able to use case insensitive globbing
even on the command word.  It certainly feels ugly to have a special
case like this.

I can see why you might want special cases for builtin bits of syntax
like if, while, etc., I suppose (just to avoid all that time-wasting
whitespace), but it still feels ugly.