Re: 3.0 DESTDIR

> (1) that doesn't apply to 3.0.x, because it doesn't compile any of those
> strings into the binary, so you still haven't given a reason to have the
> DESTDIR patch in that version; and

Fair enough.  I withdraw the request.

> (2) that recompile is a bug in the 3.1.6 build process which I think we
> ought to fix whether or not DESTDIR is also available; and

Agreed.

> (3) DESTDIR isn't sufficient anyway, because simply prefixing the entire
> path from the root forces you to install into a precise mirror tree of
> the install hierarchy.  It turns out that in one of the cases where I
> thought DESTDIR would be useful, it actually is not; because what I want
> is to change /usr/local/* into /usr/local/stow/zsh/*, that is, insert a
> new hierarchy _below_ ${prefix} rather than above.

Yes, DESTDIR is useful for automated package building and bootstrapping
a chrooted environment, but not what you describe.

However, I'm not sure why you would want to install files into
/usr/local/stow that believe their functions/modules are going to be
in /usr/local.