Re: zsh 4.0.2 (powerpc-apple-darwin1.4)

>> configure goes to some effort to avoid using the -s flag where that
>> wouldn't work.

But it only makes that effort when it's likely to need it, which is when
it's doing dynamic module loading.  The configure output you provided
showed that it didn't find any dynamic linking facilities that it
could use.

Why did you have to remove the -s flags?  With -s left in, did it fail
to build, or did you get an executable that didn't work?  What error
messages were produced?

>I doubt it's relevant, but I'm running Darwin on HFS+ which is case
>insensitive.

That's interesting but shouldn't affect this.  I don't think we ever
intended zsh to build on a case-insensitive filesystem, but I can't
offhand think of any part of it that will actually have a problem.

-zefram