Re: Slang instead ncurses

On Сбт, 2001-12-01 at 12:14, RaЗl NЗЯez de Arenas Coronado wrote:
>     Hello zsh-workers :))
>
>     I haven't took a deep look at the code, but I think that ncurses
> is used only in the terminfo module and, obviously, in the few screen
> handling routines of zsh,

These "few routines" are the heart of zsh ZLE :-) Remove them and half
of the zsh functionality is lost.

                             and I will make a suggestion: how about
> switching to slang? I think that it's fully ncurses compatible, less
> bloated and full featured.
>
>     I don't know if it is really needed, because I don't know the use
> of ncurses throughout the zsh code, but IMHO slang is far better.
>
>     Moreover: how is curses used in zsh? Is *really* needed to make
> zsh dependent of the curses library or could it statically link the
> few needed parts?

zsg does not actually use either termcap or curses. It needs them only
to get terminal capabilities; for this it is using several termcap
functions that are emulates by curses as well.

curses module just provides convinient access to terminal capabilities
using curses names, no more.

There is no need to switch to slang. Either termcap or curses are
available on every system; slang is not. Given that we do not use any of
the features provided by slang (for that matter we do not use any of the
features provided by termcap or curses either :-) there is no reason to
use it.

-andrej