Re: Y test failures (zpty)

> I once had a similar problem on that Digital Unix box.  It turned out
> that for some reason a /dev/ptyXX was free but the corresponding
> /dev/ttyXX was not writable by anyone else than root.  That made
> get_pty() fail, of course.
>
> Maybe we should change that function to re-try /dev/pty's in that
> case?  Haven't seen that problem anywhere else, though.

I don't know about Digital Unix, but looking at the sources for
OpenSSH, modemu, and rxvt-ml, I see that OSF/1 has something called
openpty().

Also, there is grantpt() and unlockpt(), getpty(), /dev/ptmx, /dev/ptc
(AIX), /dev/ptym/clone, and various sets of static /dev/pty.+ device
nodes.

All three programs mentioned above use build-time decisions, so I am
confused as to how binaries are portable between systems that do and do
not support Unix98 pty's.