completion in quotes - " vs ' - no suffix added

I stumbled upon that doing mondo completion. It is irrelevant for mondo
itself still it looks strange in general case.

With this completion (from _mondo) and menu selection active:

  "-E[exclude path(s) from backup]:paths to exclude from
backup:->quoted_path" \
  "-I[path(s) to backup]:paths to inlcude in backup:->quoted_path" \

  quoted_path )
    local suf="/ \t\n"
    [[ -n $compstate[quote] ]] && { suf="$compstate[quote]$suf"; compset -q;
}
    _files -r $suf && ret=0
  ;;

I get:

bor@itsrm2% l
a b/  c d/
bor@itsrm2% mondoarchive -I 'a\ b c\ d'
Completing file
a\ b/  c\ d/

this is O.K. (including auto-suffix removal) but with " I get

bor@itsrm2% mondoarchive -I "a\\ b
Completing file
a\\ b   c\\ d

no suffix added.