Re: PATCH: widget called when zle starts.

Bart Schaefer wrote:
> I'm a bit concerned that this is going to be called at unexpected times,
> such as every pass around a "select" loop, or right before printing the
> to PS2 prompt, etc.  Normally I'd think one only wants it called before
> the first PS1 prompt, at approximately the same time as precmd.

Well, for it to do the example given, it needs to be called every time
zle is started for whatever reason.  I think that's the only consistent
thing to do by default.

It should be possible to get more control, though.  You can already test
for context, e.g. $PREBUFFER.  Another zle variable giving more about
the context is a possibility.

> A comment on the example:
>
> } +example(zle-line-init() { zle -K vicmd; }
>
> It might be worth mentioning that this is the same as
>
>     zle-line-init() { zle vi-cmd-mode }
>
> (The trailing ';' isn't necessary, is it?)

Not in zsh, I just tend to use it for compatibility.

CSR Ltd., Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0WH, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com