Re: configure tests for iconv

Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> Trying a few different systems, it seems UCS-4BE is a much more portable
> choice of name to identify the character encoding by. Given that the
> endianness is explicit, that might be a better choice anyway. So with
> the following patch it should now work. If this breaks for any system we
> can always try multiple names for the encoding.

OK, Cygwin now converts characters up to and including 0x7f.  After that
it reports an error.  I can certainly believe this is down to Windows
thinking the locale doesn't support 8-bit characters.  (Simple tweaking
of LANG didn't seem to improve matters.)

Would it be worth changing the error message for that error (the second
one in the iconv branch) to suggest the error was with the particular
character, rather than with character sets in general?

the system manager.