Re: Good, easy to use, upstream defaults for zsh (i.e. improving usability)

On 7/11/05, Nikolai Weibull
<mailing-lists.zsh-workers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Keir Mierle wrote:
>
> > On 7/11/05, Nikolai Weibull
> > <mailing-lists.zsh-workers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > How are any of the other shells' defaults any better?
>
> > They're not. They're just as awful. This all the more reason to do one
> > better.  Do you think Google, when creating Google Maps, said 'Yahoo
> > maps and MapQuest can't pan without refreshing, why should we?' No,
> > instead they said 'Hey, we can do something really useful the
> > competition doesn't.'
>
> Map applications on the Internet have been around 3-5 years, shells
> 40-45?  What I'm saying is that it seems hard to come up with good
> defaults for shells.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

> > > Same in Bash (for example), no?
>
> > Exactly. Bash is just as bad. Which is precisely why we should do one
> > (or two) better. Which is what we have to do to convince most people
> > to switch-- the barrier is higher for zsh because it is not installed
> > on most machines.
>
> Yes, but then "bad" defaults doesn't explain why people are using Bash
> over Zsh.

Sure it does. Bash ships by default with most unix/linux installs.
That's enough momentum to stop most people from switching. Look at the
trouble Mozilla has had denting IE's marketshare with firefox; the
pre-installed advantage is enormous. Firefox is way better, by
default, and it's still having trouble!

> > > I hear what you're trying to do, but a Z-shell isn't a fish (wow,
> > > that was a horrible pun),
>
> > I'm not suggesting zsh become fish. I am merely suggesting that zsh
> > should not suck, out of the box, by default.
>
> I agree, but we can't hope to do that over a night,

Of course it won't happen over night. Which is why we should start
sooner, rather than later. I started a page with a bit more detail on
the ZSH wiki.

http://zshwiki.org/NiceZshDefaults

Thanks,
Keir