Re: PATCH: multibyte configuration

Danek Duvall wrote:
> For the purposes of this message, working is defined as
>
>   - being able to insert a multibyte character onto the commandline with
>     insert-composed-character
>
>   - echo a string of such characters into a file named with such
>     characters, via "echo <string> > <string>"
>
>   - verify with ls that the file was created with the correct name
>
>   - verify with cat the file contents are correct

My big problem is with inputting characters from the keyboard: I have
the Euro and pound sterling, but if you have only ASCII character that
could be difficult.  The pound (what I call pound, not what I call hash)
is 0xc2 0xa3 in UTF-8.  It ought to be possible to convince xterm into
inserting it with some translations trickery:

XTerm*VT100.Translations: #override \
Shift <KeyPress> F9: string(0xc2) string(0xa3)

did the trick (I tried that under Linux where I know the pound sign
works).

> I can confirm that simply with --enable-multibyte, it does *not* work.  In
> particular, attempting to use insert-composed-char, I get
>
>     insert-composed-char:1: cannot do charset conversion

Yes, this is the langinfo.h problem.  I think this is fixed by the patch
in zsh-workers/22085.

Web page still at http://www.pwstephenson.fsnet.co.uk/