Version emulation (Re: Change in FIGNORE behavior)

On Jun 18,  2:32pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: Re: Change in FIGNORE behavior
}
} I wonder if it's worth adding an option to emulate so you can "emulate
} -v 4.2"?  It would be highly imperfect since only the MULTIBYTE and
} KSH_ZERO_SUBSCRIPT options are useful for this purpose; you're stuck
} with anything else.

I just noticed this, and although it's a pleasant-sounding idea I don't
think we want to proceed in that direction.  Before you know it someone
will want to be able to say "emulate -v 2.6" to get back the different
handling of literal/lexical history, and similar lunacy.