Re: Weird Vi-mode behavior

Mikael Magnusson wrote:
2008/11/3 Matthieu Louvel de Monceaux <glory69@xxxxxxxxx>:
Indeed that sounds logical.
Same thing than

if (($+terminfo[kdch1])); then
  bindkey -M viins $terminfo[kdch1] delete-char
fi

If I well understood.

yep.

Anyway, I would like to know the reason of that vi-mode behavior,
different from both vi editor and bash vi-mode behaviours ... maybe
you could make me understand about that.

It is not different from the vi editor. If you have the string "Hello
there" in vi, and the cursor is on the t in there and you enter insert
mode, then you cannot backspace further left than that. Maybe you are
used to vim where the default in many distros (probably) is to allow
backspacing past this point. You can ":set compatible" to get the
original vi behaviour.

You're right.
I got confused by too-much of Vim :)
The keybindings given up there will make sense for me.
Thanks all.

M. Louvel de Monceaux