Re: Prefixed backslash removed when completing command

On 27 October 2010 12:41, Mikael Auno <auno@xxxxxx> wrote:

> You are completely correct. I misunderstood your reply as I did not know
> that the backslash was at all related to quoting or that ordinary quoting
> had the same result as prefixing a command with a backslash with respect to
> suppressing alias expansion. Prefixing with single or double quotes works
> great, especially as the closing quote is appended automatically.
>
> Thank you for this insight,

It's a little bit different from that even. Alias expansion is done
literally on the input basically just split on spaces. So even things
like ''mplayer or mplaye\r or mplayer"" will "cancel" out alias
expansion. That the quotes disappear in normal shell parsing is sort
of a lucky coincidence as far as the alias expansion is concerned. :)

--
Mikael Magnusson