Re: Zsh 4.3.12: subshell in midnight commander: precmd: 15: bad file descriptor

On Jul 19, 10:52am, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: Re: Zsh 4.3.12: subshell in midnight commander:  precmd: 15: bad
}
} On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 08:52:34 -0700
} Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
} > I wonder if the underlying problem doesn't somehow stem from this:
} >
} >       * 27721: Src/compat.c [with unnecessary test removed], Src/exec.c,
} >       Src/system.h, Src/utils.c:  update zopenmax() not to examine huge
} >       numbers of file descriptors; only call it at initialisation;
} >       rationalise use of fdtable_size and expansion of fdtable.
}
} I skipped over this yesterday, but are you suggesting we call zopenmax()
} with a larger limit when the user tries to manipulate an fd we don't
} know about?

I was suggesting a cause rather than any specific solution; i.e., if the
old slow zopenmax() discovered descriptors which the new one does not,
then that might explain the change in behavior; and if so, then making
some sort of change to zopenmax() might head off other cases we haven't
found yet where the code assumes zopenmax() to be comprehensive.

If you think as of 29561 that you've caught them all, then that'll do.