Re: intro.ms

On 13 April 2012 14:35, Peter Stephenson <Peter.Stephenson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 14:21:27 +0200
> Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>   For more information, the files Doc/intro.txt or Doc/intro.troff
>>   included with the source distribution are highly recommended.  A list
>>   of features is given in FEATURES, also with the source.
>>
>> But these files don't exist at least since we started using cvs, and I
>> can't get any man/troff/nroff/*roff variant to produce readable output
>> from intro.ms. /README notes that it is based on zsh 2.5 but still a
>> good introduction. Does anyone know how to build it, or should we
>> remove it and/or the recommendation to read it?
>
> "nroff -ms" is still producing quite readable about for me, and "pdfroff
> -ms" produced a usable document which we could distribute in the doc
> bundle, but it's not a very sensible source format.  I suppose it would
> need to be translated by hand.

Ah, I didn't know you had to pass any switches to it, all I know about
roff is it's something to do with man pages usually :). I read about a
third of it so far, and most of it is still applicable. We might want
to remove the bits about compctl if we keep the recommendation in the
FAQ to read it.

--
Mikael Magnusson