Re: Access to CVS

On 2012-12-05 at 01:40 -0800, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> I'm not sure this is necessary?  We currently rely on people to manually
> insert the X-Seq into their commit logs.  Attempting to automatically
> extract it from the list archives sounds like a complete nightmare.
>
> Further we sometimes reference X-Seq numbers of messages that don't have
> a patch at all, just to connect a change to a background discussion.

Excellent, less work for migration and I can stop feeling guilty for not
writing it myself.

So, with CVS dying a slow death[*], and a git repo already existing, are
you, Bart, happy with the idea of switching to Git?

Peter?

If so, what's actually needed?  A guideline on the workflow?  Someone
with sourceforge project admin rights to make changes there?  Something
else?

I'm using git enough to be doing horrid nasty things to it.  I'm happy
to try to help out, short term.  I know, that's not the right answer,
but it's all I can commit to.

Anyone?

[*] FreeBSD switching away, code-bases not really maintained, little
    modern tooling continuing to support it, and it's always been just
    frustrating.  Git's frustrating too, but with some hope for the
    future, in my stupid optimistic moments.  Mercurial's nicer to use,
    but doesn't have the momentum that Git does, and zsh already has the
    unofficial git synchronised repo.