Re: Slowdown around 5.0.5-dev-0

On 10 October 2015 at 19:58, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On the other hand the shell really isn't intended to be manipulating
> arrays of containing tens of thousands of elements.

I was afraid that this will be stated, by you as the author of the
patch. It's just such a great thing that patterns are so fast, faster
than regular expressions (from zsh/regex). And that they are so
advanced. I can do fancy things like filtering for multiple words with
*foo*~^*bar*, colorizing output by using (#m) which is faster than
(#b) and provided for someone aware to utilize that gain and
functionality. What I mean is that we shouldn't now slip into "shell
isn't for that, anyway" after providing so much.

PS. Not everything is so great, I was successfully optimizing my code
by changing if[] into [] && || in crucial places. Removing variables
as even a single assignment seems to cost much. But overall there's
plenty in speed and functionality.

Best regards,
Sebastian Gniazdowski