Re: Rewrite of zsh-newuser-install (Mikael's subthread)

Marlon wrote on Wed, Apr 07, 2021 at 16:44:54 +0300:
> On 6. Apr 2021, at 0.44, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 12:44 PM Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Overall I think there's a bit too much stuff in here. It's longer than
> >> some (many) actual personal .zshrc files I've seen.
> >
> > I tend to agree.
>
> The feedback I’ve gotten, however, from the Zsh packagers for ALT Linux, Adélie Linux, openSuse and Fedora is that it’s good stuff. :)

I think there's a distinction to be drawn between "stuff we should
enable in the default zshrc" and "cool stuff that people might want to
use, or read to learn about useful tricks/features".

I agree with Mikael and Bart that most of your zshrc falls under the
latter category.  That has its place (cf. Misc/vcs_info-examples), but
it's too magical for the default.

That's also one of the standard criticisms against oh-my-zsh, by the way.

> Some quotes:
>
> "this zshrc offers a lot of tricks I personally wanted to use but didn't know they were already implemented; thanks a lot for shining a light on them!”
>
> "I gave it a spin and it looks very nice, much less scary than the default one. I've checked the default .zshrc and it looks fine to me."

If the author of the second quote wishes to join this thread, they're of
course welcome to do so.  They might change their opinion, or change
ours.

Cheers,

Daniel