Re: Rewrite of zsh-newuser-install (Mikael's subthread)

> On 7 Apr 2021, at 21:15, Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You could also just have a comment saying something to the effect of
> "changes to this file will only take effect in new shells, you can
> either open a new terminal or type "zsh" in an existing terminal". I
> guess I don't care too much either way after all.

The problem is that many new users have learned from OMZ and other sources that they should do `source ~/.zshrc` to apply changes. I originally had a note that said you should instead either restart your terminal or type `exec zsh`, but then Oliver & Bart came up with the current solution.

>> Personally, I would’ve preferred `setopt HIST_IGNORE_ALL_DUPS
>> SHARE_HISTORY`, but there were several votes against that earlier in this
>> thread.
>
> I'm glad, those are even worse :).

Why? What’s so bad about those?

> tab will insert the unambiguous part, and then start cycling
> (depending on your setopts, this takes anywhere from 0 to 4 or so tab
> presses).

Nope, in `interactive` mode, it just inserts the unambiguous part and that’s it.

> Well, I'd have the same objection to either of them, that it's quite a
> huge departure from the standard mode of operation which is typing
> normally and pressing tab to complete words.

I think it’s a great feature that very people actually know about. Besides that, even when using `interactive`, you’re still typing normally and pressing Tab to complete words. It doesn’t change that. Have you tried the feature?

>>> How is this different from ^[a (eg, accept-and-hold) in menu selection?
>>
>> accept-and-hold doesn’t work correctly with, for example, directory
>> completions. To see this for yourself, try `cd /` + Tab + ^[a. Then try `cd
>> /` + Tab + Backtab. Notice the difference. The first one makes no sense.
>
> In that particular use case I think you would use accept-and-infer-next-history.

Nope, doesn’t work either. It inserts the selection but does not advance to the next completion.