Re: Rewrite of zsh-newuser-install (Mikael's subthread)

Bart Schaefer wrote on Fri, Apr 09, 2021 at 16:55:40 -0700:
> On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 4:07 PM Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > P.S. Has the point been made that zrestart loses state?  E.g.,
> > variables/styles set won't persist through a zrestart.
>
> That's actually intentional, because those variables/styles would not
> be present with a fresh shell anyway; if they were meant to persist
> they should be in the zshrc.
>
> However, it occurs to me that none of the proposals addresses making
> sure that the history has been saved (history is not written upon
> "exec"

exec does write history (in my setup, anyway).

>  and would be saved in reverse order by unwinding a chain of new
> shells).

Yeah, it's a bit annoying that history is saved in order the shells were
closed, rather than in chronological order of the commands.  E.g., if
shell pid=42 ran a command at noon and shell pid=43 ran a command at
13:00, and I exit 43 before 42, I'd still like the commands to be
written in that order.

I don't have EXTENDED_HISTORY set, though…

Cheers,

Daniel