Re: archived messages with "From " get truncated

On 2021-06-24 19:11:56 +0000, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre wrote on Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 10:36:12 +0200:
> > Below is a message that was sent by Stephane to workers.
> > It has been archived here:
> >
> >   https://www.zsh.org/mla/workers/2021/msg01272.html
> >
> > but got truncated just before a line starting with "From ".
> > It seems that the mail archive software is buggy, thinking
> > that this starts a new mail message.
>
> The problem might be either in the mailing list software or in how we
> invoke it.
>
> We invoke mhonarc as follows:
>
>    134          /usr/local/bin/mhonarc \
>    135                  -quiet \
>    136                  -definevar listlocalpartsansprefix=${listlocalpart#zsh-} \
>    137                  -title  "${title}" \
>    138                  -ttitle "${title}" \
>    139                  -tlevels 9999 \
>    140                  -rcfile /usr/local/www/mhonarc.zsh \
>    141                  -add \
>    142                  -- "$munged_tmpfile" \
>    143            || exit EX_UNAVAILABLE
>
> Here, ${munged_tmpfile} is a file that was created by
> «() { munged_tmpfile=$1; cat > $munged_tmpfile } =(:)», the whole thing
> being invoked by Exim using a «"| /path/to/script"» target in
> /etc/aliases.  (The "munged" terminoilogy is because there's also
> a «perl -pi -E 's/^X-Seq: …/…/ if (1../^$/)'» in there.)
>
> Does anyone happen to see off the top of their heads what we're doing
> wrong?

If I understand correctly, $munged_tmpfile is a *single* message.
Then, according to the mhonarc documentation

  https://www.mhonarc.org/MHonArc/doc/quickstart.html#adding

you must not use the "-add" option, but "-single". Alternatively,
you may use "-add" for a single message, but the message must be
read from the standard input instead of being a filename argument.

The examples:
  (1) mhonarc -add <path>/mailfolder
  (2) mhonarc -add < single.msg
  (3) cat single.msg | mhonarc -add
  (4) mhonarc -single < messagefile > file.html
  (5) mhonarc -single messagefile > file.html

The syntax above is case (1), i.e. with a folder. And I suppose
that mhonarc regards a line starting with "From " as the beginning
of a new mail message from the folder, even if this line has a
wrong syntax for such a mail separator. Hence the truncation.
Then, I don't know what happens with the remaining part as this
would yield an invalid mail message; perhaps it is just discarded.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>