Re: rsync --progress stops completion

On Sep 18,  9:36am, Bart Schaefer wrote:

> We could also consider this (I'm not sure what unexpected side-effects
> there might be, particularly for completers that try multiple calls
> to _arguments):
>
>  else
> +  _message "$service cannot parse command line"
>    return 1
>  fi

Indeed, the above causes a spurious warning from "su" completion.  So
I don't think I'll be committing that.

While trying out a few completion functions that use repeated calls to
_arguments, I encountered some miscellaneous bugs (I didn't try enough
functions to pretend this is even close to all the bugs that may be
lurking):

_cryptsetup - offers all options when completing after "-", but will
 only allow one option to appear on the command line, as if all options
 are mutually exclusive.

_quilt - returns 0 even when it finds no completions, breaking the
 zstyle fallback I suggested.

_bzr - complains to stderr if bzr is not in $path

_surfraw - complains to stderr if surfraw is not in $path

The latter two make me think that _call_program should do something
with stderr -- probably just throw it away, rather than make every
caller add its own redirection.