Re: combining .histfiles

On 10/14/2014 03:04 PM, Bart Schaefer wrote:

Bart,
and it merrily started executing everything in my history.
Yes, history files have historically (ahem) been kept in a format that is
readable as shell command input.  I suspect this may date from early csh
implementations that reloaded the history by disabling command execution
and then running the file through the parser.
I suppose there could be some good reason for it, but sheesh ...
Hmm, I don't know any reason why a regular interrupt (Ctrl+c) would not stop "." execution, regardless of whether the script is a history file or any other script, as long as the commands being executed are themselves interruptible.
I could stop the command on each line individually, but not the .histfile *itself*. Is there some way to
to break out of it?
You mentioned a "slow copy" ... I've found that if an external command is in disk wait state it may not respond to interrupts. Sometimes a Ctrl+z will suspend such a job even when Ctrl+c won't kill it.
I should have said 'large copy'. A system backup actually, so it gave me time to dive for the power. I hate to think of the mess that might have been made, however. If there was ever a file that should
be somehow protected from running, that's it.