Re: Access to CVS

On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 19:05:22 -0500
Aaron Schrab <aaron@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm still unclear about what is expected in regards to handling of
> the mailing list links.  Why is it necessary to handle those
> differently for git than is currently done with CVS, just mention the
> sequence number in the commit message?

I'm expecting (from my limited knowledge of git) that git-aware people
will do the following:

- Play with the change locally, committing it, possibly multiple times.
  I don't see any reason you'd *have* to do this, it just strikes me
  as the natural way a developer used to git would work, so you have
  a record in the archive of what went to the list.  The ability to
  do this is one of the big advantages of the distributed system.
- Send the overall diff of the changes to the mailing list.
- If it needs tweaking, there might be further local commits.
- When it looks OK, push the set of changes to the main repository.

So the issue would be to associate the link at the point where it got
pushed.

I don't know enough about git to say if what you or Alex or others are
suggesting fits in with this.

pws