Re: zathura conpletion for zsh broken

Bart Schaefer wrote on Thu, 27 Sep 2018 11:31 -0700:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 11:21 AM Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Patch attached.
>
> I've asked this before but I'm going to ask it again (and this is not
> aimed specially at Daniel or anything):
>
> Please do not attach patches (or anything else) with content-type
> "text/x-something" (in this case "text/x-patch").

Sorry, forgot that was an issue.

> A remarkable number of mail clients (or perhaps it's just the
> operating systems they sit on) are STILL, even after 25 years, too
> stupid to understand that the "text/" prefix means it's OK to display
> the content without invoking a special application.

Hopefully people who see such behaviours will file bugs against those
applications for not supporting rfc2046.  (This is not aimed specially at
Bart, either. :-))

> Also, using text/x-whatever tends to cause sending mailers to
> base64-encode the content, so it can't even be read by viewing the
> original message source.

Alpine uses base64, IIRC, but most others use quoted-printable, which is
fine for eyeballing the patch but breaks applying it.

> If this means not naming your patch files with a ".patch" extension,
> I'm sorry.  Rename them ".txt" before you attach them, if your mailer
> won't allow you to specify the content-type.  Thanks.

Done:

% git config --global format.suffix '.patch.txt'

Cheers,

Daniel
(I also use format.signature='' because the '---' line breaks recountdiff(1))