Re: Rewrite of zsh-newuser-install

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 8:00 AM Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > * Whatever we pick for our prompt, should we maybe implement it using the
> >   prompt-theme system?
>
> That would make it less "abandonware" as it was previously accused of
> being (tho if Debian uses it, it can't be considered completely
> abandoned).

I can definitely make it use the prompt theme system. I have nothing
against that and it would be great if it would see some active
development. I want to point out, though, that Debian "uses" it in
exactly _one_ place:
https://salsa.debian.org/debian/zsh/-/blob/debian/debian/newuser.zshrc.recommended#L3

autoload -Uz promptinit
promptinit
prompt adam1

And that's it. They don't add any new prompt themes to it or use it in
any other way. It's just those 3 lines.

> I was a little puzzled by "user names beginning with punctuation" but
> let it go at the time.

As someone else pointed out: macOS. It has quite a few of them:

_amavisd                _eppc                   _netstatistics
_analyticsd             _findmydevice           _networkd
_appinstalld            _fpsd                   _nsurlsessiond
_appleevents            _ftp                    _nsurlstoraged
_applepay               _fud                    _oahd
_appowner               _gamecontrollerd        _ondemand
_appserver              _geod                   _postfix
_appstore               _hidd                   _postgres
_ard                    _iconservices           _qtss
_assetcache             _installassistant       _reportmemoryexception
_astris                 _installcoordinationd   _rmd
_atsserver              _installer              _sandbox
_avbdeviced             _jabber                 _screensaver
_calendar               _kadmin_admin           _scsd
_captiveagent           _kadmin_changepw        _securityagent
_ces                    _knowledgegraphd        _serialnumberd
_clamav                 _krb_anonymous          _softwareupdate
_cmiodalassistants      _krb_changepw           _spotlight
_coreaudiod             _krb_kadmin             _sshd
_coremediaiod           _krb_kerberos           _svn
_coreml                 _krb_krbtgt             _taskgated
_ctkd                   _krbfast                _teamsserver
_cvmsroot               _krbtgt                 _timed
_cvs                    _launchservicesd        _timezone
_cyrus                  _lda                    _tokend
_datadetectors          _locationd              _trustevaluationagent
_demod                  _logd                   _unknown
_devdocs                _lp                     _update_sharing
_devicemgr              _mailman                _usbmuxd
_diskimagesiod          _mbsetupuser            _uucp
_displaypolicyd         _mcxalr                 _warmd
_distnote               _mdnsresponder          _webauthserver
_dovecot                _mobileasset            _windowserver
_dovenull               _mysql                  _www
_dpaudio                _nearbyd                _wwwproxy
_driverkit              _netbios                _xserverdocs