Re: Rewrite of zsh-newuser-install

On 20 Feb 2021, at 02:18, Marlon Richert <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> it is a general principle of modern UX Design to give the user good
> defaults, which they then can change later, rather than present them with
> lots of choices upfront

Right, which is the point of this whole endeavour. idk, like i said, i'm not
invested in it personally, just wanted to mention that we don't seem to know
anything about how it's used in the real world. I wouldn't have known Bart
uses it

On 20 Feb 2021, at 02:18, Marlon Richert <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don’t know what is the “recommended-zshrc mechanism (option 2)”. How does
> that work?

Packagers can provide their own zshrc at /etc/zsh/newuser.zshrc.recommended,
which, if detected by the wizard, appears as an option on that initial screen
as 'the configuration recommended by the system administrator'

On 20 Feb 2021, at 02:18, Marlon Richert <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes, I think that’s definitely a good idea. Is that just a matter of asking
> on their mailing lists?

Axel is the maintainer for Debian, we've brought him in on the list here
before. I can't remember the others we usually work with, Daniel would know

On 20 Feb 2021, at 02:18, Marlon Richert <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would be fine with just using the XDG Base Dir spec for this, but not
> everyone seems to agree. Hence the question. It’s a compromise. :)

idk how strongly everyone feels about it, seemed like most people were leaning
towards it being non-critical

dana